For better video, avoid these 10 habits
Even without shooting, the craft of video editing has a lot of moving parts. Planning, storyboarding, editing, and audio and video postproduction can be overwhelming tasks to juggle, particularly if you’re a beginner.
Chris Gates put together a helpful list of habits to avoid — “worst practices”? — that can help you stay focused and make better videos:
- Winging it. Follow a storyboard and don’t get distracted.
- Scaling it up. Work to your deliverables — no more, no less.
- A cluttered workspace. Stay organized on your real or virtual desktop.
- Overusing transitions. Use ones that suit the project, don’t default to your habits.
- Using jump cuts. Use them consciously, not lazily. Fill discontinuities with “B-roll” (or stock footage).
- Ignoring audio. Don’t let a bad sound mix ruin your movie.
- Underusing graphics. Explore a bit when it comes to credits and openings. Use type that complements your story.
- Abusing effects. Like spices, they’re best used sparingly. They can also quickly fill up your day.
- Stealing ideas. Learn from your heroes (and online tutorials), but don’t be obvious about it.
- Attempting to use every shot. Be selective. As they say in writing, “Murder your darlings.”
Check out the full post over on Videomaker.
Still from 17A063_145
The Origin of Alight Films
Alight Films is the culmination of two incredible artists, Mia and Chris, who have a passion for all things in the filmmaking and photography realm. Their footage and photo collections feature many dark, mysterious, and obscure tones which is rare to see in stock. We chatted with the two creatives to learn more about them […] Read more
Gen Z – Your New Target Audience
Generation Z is taking over the world with their TikTok videos and VSCO filters. This demographic continues to grow in stature and influence which is changing the way marketers have to think in regards to their campaigns. How To Identify Gen Z Gen Z is commonly identified as the generation of people born between 1996-2010. […] Read more
How To Keep Your Brand Feeling Fresh Online
There’s no question that the last thing you want is to have a stale brand that is one dimensional. The reality is that you want to maintain a fresh brand that offers much more to your audience than just a product. After all, you want to ensure that your brand is always keeping customers engaged. […] Read more