For better video, avoid these 10 habits
Even without shooting, the craft of video editing has a lot of moving parts. Planning, storyboarding, editing, and audio and video postproduction can be overwhelming tasks to juggle, particularly if you’re a beginner.
Chris Gates put together a helpful list of habits to avoid — “worst practices”? — that can help you stay focused and make better videos:
- Winging it. Follow a storyboard and don’t get distracted.
- Scaling it up. Work to your deliverables — no more, no less.
- A cluttered workspace. Stay organized on your real or virtual desktop.
- Overusing transitions. Use ones that suit the project, don’t default to your habits.
- Using jump cuts. Use them consciously, not lazily. Fill discontinuities with “B-roll” (or stock footage).
- Ignoring audio. Don’t let a bad sound mix ruin your movie.
- Underusing graphics. Explore a bit when it comes to credits and openings. Use type that complements your story.
- Abusing effects. Like spices, they’re best used sparingly. They can also quickly fill up your day.
- Stealing ideas. Learn from your heroes (and online tutorials), but don’t be obvious about it.
- Attempting to use every shot. Be selective. As they say in writing, “Murder your darlings.”
Check out the full post over on Videomaker.
Still from 17A063_145
The Vintage Look: How Content Creators Are Taking Us Back In Time
In with the old and out with the new. Whether it’s vintage fashion, rustic culinary creations, or classic soundtracks, this generation is reminiscing on the past. We’ve now seen this trend make its way into the media industry and it has become more apparent than ever. Shooting On Film One way that vintage footage and […] Read more
Shoots We Love from Dissolve Filmmaker™
Shooting stock is an art like no other. Our Dissolve Filmmakers take stock to another level as they shoot experiences that you can’t find anywhere else. Have a look at some of our favorite shoots available exclusively at Dissolve. Beekeeper – Shot by Max Monty for Dissolve Filmmaker This shoot shows the true beauty of […] Read more
The Travelling Creative’s Ultimate Guide to Cloud Storage Services
Hayk Saakian is an entrepreneur and a software developer. He is a passionate tech reviewer covering apps, softwares, headphones, projectors, laptops, videogame articles and other in-depth tech analysis. Being in the creative field, may it be photography or filmmaking, keeping your files at your fingertips is essential. Having remote access while you are on an […] Read more