Paper to Premiere
Here’s a quick tutorial from our designer Nikki on how to get hand-drawn lettering into your video project using Photoshop. (The lettering can be seen in our showreels Summer’s Here and A Cowboy’s Boot.)
You will need:
- Tracing or white bond paper
- Your favorite black pen
1. Draw the words or title you would like in your video project. (If you aren’t confident with your drawing skills, check out Skillshare. They have lots of online classes on hand-lettering taught by well-known designers.)
2. Scan and open the image in Photoshop.
3. Use Levels ( Image > Adjustments > Levels or ⌘L) to remove the grays in the image by using the white and black eye droppers to pick the lightest and darkest places in the image respectively.
4. In the Channels palette, click the dashed circle at the bottom (the “Load channel as selection” button).
5. In the Layers palette, click “add vector mask,” which is the button at the bottom of the palette that looks like a rectangle with a circle in it. This will mask out the layer using the selection you got from step 4. You will need to invert the mask by hitting ⌘I or Image > Adjustments > Invert.
6. On the layer, you can use the brush tool to paint the color you would like the type to be.
7. Save this file as a PSD and you can import it into Premiere. (You can import the entire file or just the layer with your art on it.)
Meet the face behind the ASCEND collection
Daniel Hurst is the face behind the ASCEND collection, available exclusively on Dissolve, which is comprised of urban skylines, buildings, neighbourhoods, and infrastructure that add cinematic flare and depth to your productions. Shot from a helicopter with a RED Epic camera and a Canon Cine 30-300 lens, and delivered in 7K ultra-high-definition for unprecedented editability. […] Read more
Find the perfect shot with more from shoot
Have you ever come across a shot you really liked, but it wasn’t exactly what you were looking for? We know the feeling, and we also know that you shouldn’t have to settle for something that isn’t exactly what you want. Finding that right style or angle is an important part of telling your story […] Read more
Finding the Right Color For Your Brand
Colors play an integral role in our lives. They persuade us to make choices and sometimes dictate our decisions. From choosing a shirt because it’s your favourite shade of blue to finding the color for your personal brand on social media. Nowadays, colors dictate our personal and professional lives so we’re here to help you […] Read more