For better video, avoid these 10 habits
Even without shooting, the craft of video editing has a lot of moving parts. Planning, storyboarding, editing, and audio and video postproduction can be overwhelming tasks to juggle, particularly if you’re a beginner.
Chris Gates put together a helpful list of habits to avoid — “worst practices”? — that can help you stay focused and make better videos:
- Winging it. Follow a storyboard and don’t get distracted.
- Scaling it up. Work to your deliverables — no more, no less.
- A cluttered workspace. Stay organized on your real or virtual desktop.
- Overusing transitions. Use ones that suit the project, don’t default to your habits.
- Using jump cuts. Use them consciously, not lazily. Fill discontinuities with “B-roll” (or stock footage).
- Ignoring audio. Don’t let a bad sound mix ruin your movie.
- Underusing graphics. Explore a bit when it comes to credits and openings. Use type that complements your story.
- Abusing effects. Like spices, they’re best used sparingly. They can also quickly fill up your day.
- Stealing ideas. Learn from your heroes (and online tutorials), but don’t be obvious about it.
- Attempting to use every shot. Be selective. As they say in writing, “Murder your darlings.”
Check out the full post over on Videomaker.
Still from 17A063_145
Six Tips For Writing A Winning Bio On Your Photography Website
As a photographer, you’re more used to working in the visual medium. This means that writing copy may not be one of your strengths. However, when people are hunting for a photographer to employ, they’re often as interested in your personality as they are in your portfolio, so let’s examine at the basics you need […] Read more
The Best Photo Courses For Students
It’s okay to assume that the primary duty of the internet is to break protocols, especially in learning. Practical programs like photography are not left out in the educational revolution of today’s world. You will find a number of viable courses that offer practical information for building the skills you need to thrive as a […] Read more
How to find models for your next photo shoot
Let’s get to the point, using friends and family as models is fun. You get the excuse of quality time while working, what could be better? Well eventually you may need to expand your list of models to fit the look of certain clients. You won’t need a casting agent to help with this, we’ve […] Read more